Tuesday, February 19, 2008

"Pull up a Rock" SOLD (Click here to view results on eBay)



This is a 9" x 12" oil on panel. It was somewhat inspired by a college classmate named Stephen Lyman, who fell to his death in Yosemite national Park, in 1996 while shooting reference for his paintings. His work is beyond amazing and looking back on it for the first time in ten years, I'm surprised how rendered it is. It's not photo-real, but a nice mix of realism in an illustrative style. My work isn't like his in any way except for the fact he painted campfires like nobody else. Light from a cabin window, sunsets, or even lanterns. You just can't beat a painting that has a light source that helps illuminate the painting itself. Click on the image for a larger view.

3 Comments:

Blogger robin peterson said...

I too am a fan of Stephen Lyman, was perusing his book just the other morning, I wondered how he died. Fitting, if an untimely and very sad loss. I've been checking out your wonderful work on this blog for a while now. It's even got me going on my own, thanks for sharing and inspiring. :)

10:59 PM  
Blogger Austin Maloney said...

I really like this painting Mick. I had no idea you knew
Stephan Lyman, he was a great artist who from my reading seems to have been an amazing person as well. Anyone camping in the desolate and dangerous places he camped in in the dead of winter really shows a level of dedication few artists share.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Diana Marshall said...

Wow, what a beautiful painting, as in fact are all your paintings. I have just been browsing through your site and I really like your style of painting, something to aspire to.

12:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker