Thursday, January 17, 2008

"Malibu Morning" SOLD (Click here to view results on eBay)



I'm in the second to last night in my home at Dakota Dunes where we have lived for the last 14 years and as we were packing piles of paintings, frames and studio equipment, I came across this little sunrise scene of Malibu Beach that I painted back in '03. It was 5 in the morning when I arrived at the beach that day, but didn't see this first light until about 6:15. Better to get there early if you want to see some real drama.
My intention then was to just concentrate on a bunch of California beach scenes that I used to visit with my family. If I was going to become a fine arts painter, I wanted to paint something that really blew mw off my feet and I remember seeing the Pacific and tasting the salt water as if it were yesterday.
I first moved to California in 1974 and I wished I had taken more pictures of what things looked like then because I know things have changed alot in 38 years. I'm feeling pretty old right now thinking there were no such things as cell phones and the internet back then, and even the cars were big and ugly. Click on the image for a larger view.

2 Comments:

Blogger A Reason to Paint said...

A perfect depiction of early morning.

I kind of like those big ugly cars of days gone by.

4:04 AM  
Blogger Austin Maloney said...

I just love your use of color in this one.

6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker