Thursday, January 29, 2009

Superbowl 34 Where did the Time Go?



An artist friend of mine,
  • >Frank Ordaz
  • , wrote and ask me for copies of any superbowl posters I may have painted. It all reminded me of some fun times back in '99, and some great things to look forward to this weekend.
    Back in '99, I was ask by Brad Jansen, of the NFL to create the key art for the big game that year. It was being held at the Georgia Dome in Atanta, so the theme was going to be Georgia Peaches. It wasn't known at the time that I painted it, who the contestants were going to be, but lucky for me, it turned out t be the Rams from St. Louis, and the Tennessee Titans.The months before the game, while I was painting the piece, my favorite player at the time, Walter Payton had passed away. Without the Art Director knowing, I slipped in an homage to him, by painting his jersey number into the peach tree in the back left. #34 is visible on a larger print, in the negative light areas within the leaves.
    The other interesting thing is that Kurt Warner, this weekends QB for Arizona, was the wining quarterback back then for the Rams. He was a local product for us Midwesterners, in that he graduated from Nortthern Iowa and before he got a shot at playing in the big leagues, he was tearing it up in Arena Football.
    Superbowl 34 was played on January 30, 2000, and the Rams preserved a vistory with a stop on the 1 yard line with 6 seconds remaining. I just hope this weekend's game plays out as well for him and his Cardinals. He's a great role model that always gives credit to God, and his savior Jesus, before any interview. The world needs more players like him.

    Thanks Frank, for reminding me of some good times.

    Labels:

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Unknown said...

    This piece has such a narrative feel to it. I also love the reflections in the trophy - very masterfully done.

    5:11 PM  
    Blogger Darren Maurer said...

    That brings back memories for me also. I think I was out working in your studio for much of the time while you were painting that piece. I'm going for the Cardinals this weekend also.

    11:36 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How much is it going for.?

    8:22 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home

    eXTReMe Tracker