Sunday, February 11, 2007

Two Red Potatos (Click here to view eBay results)



This is my first time to paint potatos and I was surprised to see how deep red these things really are. I painted these from life to see if there's a difference in the way the the details are displayed, and the only thing I found out is that the feel of the lighting and color were better, but the detail was put in at the same degree that I would if I had painted them from a photo. Mostly because I couldn't see the detail as easily. My eyes aren't what they used to be and I hate wearing glasses to paint. I think I like painting from life better but it is more work. Click on the image for a larger view.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mick, I am becoming a fast fan of your daily paintings.
Well done on the potatoes! I also loved many of your other posts, the landscapes as much as the still-lives..........and esp. that sticky bun with the caramel sauce drizzled on the plate. WHERE are you getting that in South Dakota?

We have a few things in common. We are the same age, and I have also come from a background in illustration and am also now pursuing fine art.

Kudos about your sense of light, and color and form,
and magical realism. It's such a joy to see what you are doing with your blog. I just love it! Thank you for the
inspiration.

all best regards,
Mona

12:40 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Your work is amazing. The lemons on the cutting board is so realistic. So is the potato painting.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

eXTReMe Tracker